March 16, 2010

Excuses, Excuses!

These are some of my favorite "reasons" students have given me as to why they missed/can't come to their lessons and couldn't possibly have cancelled in advance (and yes, I still charged them. Every last one of them):

... I didn't know today was Wednesday (or Thursday, or whatever day is lesson day)
... I forgot my oboe/reed/music/money. To which I respond by loaning them mine (except, of course, the money. That I keep.) Nothing like risking an aneurysm on a reed that is way too hard or carpal tunnel holding oboe that is way too heavy to remind a kid to bring their own the next time!
... I went to McDonald's with my friends for lunch.
... I have to finish eating my orange!
... I had a doctor's appointment/badminton game/field trip. Didn't my friend/the band director/other random person tell you? [Nope! It's not their responsibility to do so!]
... I had to watch my brother jump a car battery in the parking lot. [me: Why? Did you help? them: Uh, no. me:*shaking head sadly*]
... I didn't practice so I figured I shouldn't come. Thanks for not wanting to waste my time, but to actually not waste my time, you should cancel your lesson!
... I was totally going to tell you, but my Internet has been down, and I like, lost your number, and my mom forgot to call your other number, and...

The list could go on and on. It would be funny if it weren't so sad... ah, how I long for the day when I no longer have to rely on high school students for my primary source of income!

No comments:

Post a Comment