July 19, 2010

Dear Cilantro

Please don’t die on me now. You have been so flavorful and delicious in my guacamole, soups, and taco dishes so far this summer, and now that the tomatoes and Serrano peppers are nearly ready to harvest, I can assure you that you have much to live for; the best is yet to come!

I know it’s been unusually warm this week, but if your cousin Parsley can take the heat, you should be able to, too. You’re an herb, for crying out loud, not a pansy! The way you’re wilting and shriveling up, like a fragile little flower, is downright pathetic.

So if you won’t perk up for me, the one who planted you from seed, watered and cultivated you to grow up big and strong, then mixed your rinsed and finely chopped leaves into my favorite Mexican dishes, then do it for Tomato and Pepper; just think of all the beautiful salsas you will make together come August.

The shame you likely feel from the close-cropped pruning job I did is only temporary, I promise. Please know I did it out of love and that, if you’re willing to make the effort, you’ll be sprouting new shoots in no time. Otherwise, you’ll find yourself in my neighbor’s compost pile. And don’t tell the others, but you’re the favorite of all my herbs, so I do hope you’ll hang on just a little bit longer. I’m “rooting” for you!

Love,
Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment