June 19, 2009

The Cheese Stands Alone...

I've been to two weddings in as many weeks so far this month. Both weddings were for good college friends of mine, and both they and their husbands are professional musicians. Both insisted on small weddings, both had incredible music, and both ceremonies were memorable and beautiful. I went stag to both of these weddings, and had a blast each time.

During the first wedding, however, as I was standing with about thirty other guests in front of a picturesque gazebo that was tucked inside a stunning botanical garden, I had an awful realization. As I looked around at the small crowd congregated there, I did the math and groaned inwardly-- I was the ONLY single female of the bunch. I could just picture myself standing up in front of everyone at the reception, waiting stupidly to catch the bridal bouquet. Alone. Would the bride toss the bouquet over her shoulder and directly at me, or try to make things more interesting by hiking it to me from between her legs? Would she make me scramble for it, or would she take pity on me and just hand it over? Oh, the horror!

I mentioned my dilemma to some married friends who were also in attendance; one offered to go up there with me and fight for the bouquet. In a way, though, I almost think that would be worse-- to be the only single woman at a wedding and lose the bouquet to a married lady! For some reason, though, I couldn't picture the bride subjecting me to anything of the sort. I wasn't able to shake my feeling of dread entirely, but once I got to the reception, I quickly realized there would be nothing cheesy or cliche about it. No dollar dance, no long-winded toasts, no Electric Slide, no garter removal, and no bouquet toss. What a relief!

I confessed my moment of panic to the bride later that evening, and she just laughed; the bouquet was too pretty to toss, she said (she's right-- it was), and as for wedding traditions, she wanted nothing to do with any of it. Both friends adopted this philosophy, and I think their nuptials were even more special because of it; they did what worked for them and ditched the rest. I couldn't agree more with their thinking-- if and when I ever get married, there will be nothing traditional about it. But until I find my guy, I'll raise my glass and make a toast-- to good friends and individuality!

No comments:

Post a Comment